Sunday, March 22, 2015

Swimming videos

Pat wanted me to share a few videos of his pool walking with you.  When I was filming him, I was thinking about the very first time I got him in the pool in Greeley with his physical therapist.  He couldn't even go 5 seconds without someone holding him up.  I remember the therapist saying that once he got better at standing on his own, someone could make gentle ripples in the water around him to make a little current so he could try to stand with a little current.  I remember the look of genuine panic on his face and I remember distinctly thinking that it was a grand thought, but I didn't know when/if we could ever get there.  I sure wish I had a video of that first session that I could show.

Well, if you notice, on one of the videos I am posting today, there are other swimmers in the other lanes of the pool.  They tend to be serious swimmers and often splash us quite a bit as they pass.  As you can see, the swimmer splashing by doesn't even phase him, even when he is walking on his own.  What a blessing that he has been able to make so much progress!  I know sometimes he feels like he isn't getting anywhere, but when I look at how much stronger and confident he is, I almost can't believe it.

Here is Pat air clapping.

Here is Pat demonstrating his balance with arm raises.  This is after he has walked for about an hour.  :)  So he was a little tired.  

I tried to post the last two, but it looks like they are too large.  If you still want to see them, you can access them by clicking on the links below.  These are the best one, I highly recommend them!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxds7yJOZ8-RVDRiTjFINVZvdDQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxds7yJOZ8-RcE1meW5UVVBDbHc/view?usp=sharing

Pat surely is a superhero.  Whoever gave him the nickname Superpat sure got it right!

No comments: