Monday, June 19, 2017

What are the Fergusons up to?

Gosh time flies!  I can't believe we haven't posted anything since November.  But that is mostly because we have been so busy.  Our current adventures included a quick trip to Colorado for the funeral of Patrick's grandmother.  It was such a sad reason for a visit but it was so good to see family and friends.  We have the best support group ever. 

I (Melissa) have been working hard at school.  I am so happy to be able to say that I am officially a Junior now - it sure felt like this day would never come!  After this semester, I will be halfway through the part of the workload that I need to do at BYU-I.  So it's all downhill from here, right? 👍

But even with all of my hard work, Patrick really blows me out of the water.  He has been attending a Financial Self-Reliance class through church, has been working extra hard on becoming more self reliant in every way, and has been working so hard on his physical therapy regime.  He's set a lofty goal for himself, but we really think he might actually accomplish it.  Here's a little taste of what he has been doing, with a promise that he is working on some really incredible things.


We certainly wouldn't be able to accomplish such amazing things without each other's love and support.  I am so grateful that Patrick has been sacrificing so much to allow me to go back and earn my degree.  We are also very grateful for the love, support and encouragement that we receive from our family, friends and health care professionals. We have been so richly blessed with wonderful people that inspire us by their own actions.  Often the inspiration that Pat needs to get to the next step from his walking comes from something that someone else says to him. 

One small example is the Father's Day Gift he received at church yesterday.  If you don't know, one of Pat's biggest inspirations to walk again is a man named Arthur that used to be a paratrooper but lost the ability to walk due to injury and poor health.  But now Arthur is running again.  His motto is Never give up.  For Father's Day, each of the children helped to make cookies and write something special about fathers on the gift tags.  The box that Pat received had a tag that said that fathers are special because they never give up.  I'm sure it was no coincidence!


No comments: