Sunday, October 24, 2010

More Family Fun

Saturday - We had pancakes for breakfast, thanks for the help eating up all the odds and ends of syrup, somehow we always end up with 5 or 6 bottles, with just a little left in them.  Then we went to the Farmer's market where the girls did some leisurely shopping, and the boys raced through as fast as they could.  Then we headed to the Greeley Train Museum.  We couldn't believe how much fun was packed into that little building.  And of course we just couldn't leave until we found the UNC bear and all of the dinosaurs.  Thank heavens for Dad's sharp eyes or we would still be there.  Pat loved the first two hours even though he was very displeased that I made him climb the stairs and look over the edge to look down and see the trains (he is VERY scared of heights).  By the time we finally left, we were all starving.  We had a good lunch at the $1.50 a scoop chinese place.  We all got very full and really enjoyed it.  From there, we went to the new Habitat for Humanity Store to look around, Pat and I were very surprised to see our donations already on the floor.  (Pat saw a few that I donated and decided he wanted to buy them back but I wouldn't let him.  LOL)  After that the girls went to Hobby Lobby and the boys napped in the car.  Then it was time to go get ready to go to the FunPlex for swimming.  We had a great time while swimming, Pat especially.  Both Mom and Dad decided to stay on the sidelines and watch.  At hour number two, I started to ask if anyone was ready to get out, but no one wanted to, even Pat.  We finally got out when they closed for the evening. :)  Pat did fantastic, he kept himself up and floated by himself most of the time without any assistance.  At one point I asked Daniel to take Pat to the deep end because he never got the chance.  Daniel agreed and took him over.  After a minute I noticed that Daniel wasn't holding on to Pat and I started to worry that Pat would panick when he realized that he was in 10 feet water without anyone holding him.  After we got out, Daniel explained that he wasn't a good enough swimmer to be able to swim and hang on to Pat, it was all he could do to stay afloat.  Good thing Pat was oblivious and just floated along on his own.  It was amazing to realize how far Pat has come in conquering his fear of water.  He didn't seem bothered at all that he was floating contentedly along by himself.  A really funny moment came when a couple of little boys saw Pat's unoccupied wheelchair and decided to take it for a little spin.  Who knew I could shout that far, that loud.  :)  When we finished swimming, we were all starving so we went to CiCi's for dinner.  When I saw how much food the boys and Becky ate, I was very glad that it was so cheap for all you can eat.  I am not sure but I think Joel topped out at over 20 slices.  Pat just laughed and laughed and laughed. 

Sunday  - Sunday morning was nice and leisurely.  Becky and I started making yummy chocolate cupcakes with milk and white chocolate butterflies and everyone came along to church.  It was fun to be with the family at church, and really funny to compare my Herculean brothers next to the Young Men of our ward.  In fact, we went to visit Pat's Grandma C before church and I think she was amazed at how much the boys and Becky had grown since their last visit.  It was so nice to spend a few minutes with her and to let her talk with my mom.  I think that she was really touched when Daniel offered to help, it is so unusual in the Hispanic culture for young men to help out.  I think she was able to see our testimonies and hopefully she could see the pure goodness and joy in my family.  I know we made a good impression on her.  After church, we came home and Daniel and I started dinner while Mom and Becky finished up the cupcakes so we could have a birthday celebration.  We must have chopped for hours, but the chicken and snow peas, rice, corn on the cob, and watermelon sure tasted great.  After dinner, Mom and I left the boys to clean up and took a cupcake and suckers to my good friend Liz.  We tried really hard all weekend to connect with her and it only happened because we surprised her for a few minutes during Sunday movie night.  Sorry for the intrusion Liz, but it was so good to see you for a few minutes.  When we got home, we sat in the car for a long time talking like we used to when I was growing up.  The kids only peeked out a few times...  I think they were anxious to eat their cupcakes before Emily had to go. I think they enjoyed them, by the time we came in they were begging for thirds.  :)  I think my favorite part of the whole trip was getting to talk to my mom for hours face to face.  Talking on the phone is okay, but it just isn't the same.  The bonus was that Dad and Pat had the kitchen spotless, no small feat considering how many dishes we used on dinner.

Sadly on Monday morning, the family had to leave.  We miss them so much!  Pat didn't get out of bed to say goodbye because he was afraid he would cry.  Oops, I don't think I was supposed to say that part. 

Daniel - Pat was so touched by what you told him about how everytime he chooses the wheelchair he takes a step backward.  He really feels touched that you are his cheering section and that you think of him. 

To Dad, Mom, Daniel, Joel, and Becky - your visit meant the world to us, especially Pat.  He feels like he got a huge hug from his family and knows that his cheering section is fully behind him.  We can never express how much you mean to us. 

No comments: