Friday, July 6, 2012

Starting off right

Last evening Pat suprised me at work by joining my coworkers in a goodbye party for me.  The surprise was on him though when he couldn't get to the elevator to come up to the second floor because the way was blocked by a pallet of toilets.  But he rallied nicely and made the climb up the stairs in the fastest time I have ever seen him make.  Our sweet friend Bonnie volunteered to manuver around the toilets to bring the chair up the elevator as Pat set off.  He was about 3/4 of the way up the stairs when she got off the elevator.  The whole trip up the stairs took less than 5 minutes. 

And if that wasn't enough showing off, he continued to use his walker for the party and then to get back out to the car as well as again later that evening when we visited some friends.  At one point he had to turn the walker sideways to fit in the space between two desks, it was just a quarter of an inch too small for the walker to fit the regular way.  He did it like a pro and even volunteered to go that way on the way back, even though it meant walking sideways again. 

He did take the elevator back down to the first floor instead of taking the stairs, but he used the walker instead of the chair.  I do have to say that I really love watching the look on his face when he goes in an elevator standing up instead of sitting in the chair, it's priceless everytime. 

2 comments:

Alanna said...

Way to go Pat!

Angie said...

I think I've seen that look before possibly. And it makes me smile. Great job, Pat! Call us when you have a minute!