Monday, January 3, 2011

The wedding and reception

I didn't want to include my thoughts about the wedding and reception in my trip post because it was too special for that.  Spoiler aler - I am feeling kind of sappy, so please feel free to skip this post if you are not.

For me one of the best moments was when we were taking a rest from our many laps around the temple and we saw Kat for the first time.  She asked us where Tim was and while she seemed nervous that he wasn't there yet, there was a peace about her that I had never felt before.  I remember looking at her an something touched my spirit with the thought that my sisters and I were finally getting to have one of our spirit sisters who had been separated from us by birth.  I don't know how to explain it other than to use the phrase from one of my favorite books "I think you may be a kindred spirit after all". 

In thinking about our family dynamics and everything I came to wonder if maybe some of the peace that I saw was because Tim is finally Kat's and Kat is finally Tim's and nothing can change that.  I know that is how I felt on my wedding day.  It doesn't matter who does or doesn't approve (not that it mattered anyway), we are an eternal family now and no one can change that.  This probably isn't making much sense, it is one of those concepts that makes perfect sense until you try to explain it or write it down.

The reception was so elegant and beautiful, and everything I think of when I think of the woman Kat is becoming.  I couldn't think of a way to make it more perfect and I really enjoyed that it was small and intimate instead of what it would have been if it had been in Idaho.  We really enjoyed getting a chance to celebrate with everyone who was there.  But Kat and Tim had better plan a visit to see us sometime, we sure didn't get as much time to hang out with them as we would have wanted. 

2 comments:

Alanna said...

How sweet Melissa. There is nothing that beats a wedding day, especially a wedding day at a temple.

Angie said...

Love it. YOu truly have a way with words, sis! And I can agree. It will be so fun to have a sister-in-law. The first of many. :)