Sunday, September 19, 2010

Saturday swimming

We finally made it to the pool and it felt SOOOO good.  We were both so relaxed and happy when we got out.  The downside, we weren't aware that the pool closes at 6 on Saturdays so when we got there at 5:30, we didn't get much water time. 

So how did our handsome hero do?  Awesome!!!  When we got into the water, we really concentrated on having Pat try not to panic and learn to do the back float so that if he starts to go under, he knows how to save himself and can feel a lot more control about the situation.  He did swallow a lot of water, but he did so great.  He still gets a little panicked, but nothing like he did before and when he does get scared, he just takes a deep breath and starts to float.  Btw, I think he is learning to love floating, I may have a hard time getting to do much else.  Good thing the pool is open until 11 the other nights.  :)  I think he just feels so empowered and so much more confident now. 

Also, we purchased some necessities, like some great workout wear, a gym bag, and water bottle.  I am hoping that it will do the same thing that my purple lunch bag does for me.  Since I got the lunch bag, I haven't skipped lunch once.  Yeah for me!

I think that I also figured out why he likes swimming so much now that he is less scared about it.  It is the one sport that he has tried that doesn't have any unpleasant memories of his father trying to push him so hard.  There is no fear of verbal and emotional abuse if he doesn't do as well as he should, and since there is no winning or losing; he doesn't have to think about how he used to get beaten when he lost.  I feel so much sorrow at the loss of innocence he suffered but so grateful that he has a chance to change his family's history going forward.  I am so proud of Pat and all that he has been able to accomplish and all that he will accomplish going forward. 

Pat's comment on the swimming "I enjoyed it.  It was a new start, a fresh start, and the beginning of a new dawn.  I tackled it and I did well.  So onward and upward!

(SuperGirl is very proud of Pat for admitting he did well, also a very large step forward.  He doesn't like to admit or acknowledge his progress, he prefers that I report it).

1 comment:

Nana Renee said...

SuperPat, I am amazed. What revelations!!!! You are doing for yourself what many would love to do . . . if only they weren't afraid. You are pushing thru the obstacles of your life and facing your fears! We believe in you . . . cause we know nothing can stop you. It is so wonderful to see you take hold of your life and make it what you want it to be. We love you and admire you far more than you will ever realize.