Saturday, March 19, 2011

All I want for Christmas is a new sink, new dishwasher, new electrical work

I just have to say that there are some days that I would give just about anything to live in an apartment again.  It was so nice to be able to call up the landlord and tell him that something wasn't working right and know that he would get someone out to come fix it.  Plus does anyone really like yardwork?  Maybe those people without allergies to pollen, grass, weeds, and bees.  :) 

We have had a month of things breaking down.  First it was the sink.  I came home from work one day and my brother and husband announced that the tailpipe of the sink was no longer connected to the rest of the sink.  WHAT???  We were able to get a plumber in to fix the problem but I was mystified as to how that could happen.  For quite a while I secretly wondered if my junior plumber attempts had caused it.  Then Pat let me in on a little secret that made me realize that it was not my fault at all.  We won't say what he told me, to protect the not so innocent, but for once, SuperPat was not the root of the problem.  (nothing against him, but he has a lot of learning to do about mechanics, plumbing, etc). 

Life seemed to be pretty good, but then I noticed the giant dent in the front of our dishwasher.  It looked like someone had tried to kick it in, or that Pat hit it at tope speed in his power chair.  No one would confess and if the dogs know, they aren't talking.  After that, every couple of loads, the dishwasher would not drain at the end of the cycle.  Since the boys do most of the dishes in the evenings, I didn't find this out until about 11pm on a Saturday night.  Not the best time to get a repairman.  Sigh.  So after the repairman came, we found out that the line was completely full of grease.  I bet you are mentally adding two and two and coming up with four.  I know I did.  They did promise never to do it again. 

Since problems come in threes sometimes, I guess I am not too surprised that now the lights in our bedroom are flickering and our overhead light behaves like someone in another room is flicking the switch on and off.  I have no clue what the problem is, but my brother tells me that the wiring probably needs to be replaced in the house.  Double sigh, guess I know what the next step is. 

No comments: