Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Two Sons (Dogs)

Pat always insists that the dogs are my sons and I blatantly disagree.  I tolerate them because I love Pat.  But lately, I have to admit that I might be starting to like them somewhat.  Especially since they have been spending their days in the backyard chasing eachother so they are tired at night.  Knock on wood, but they haven't escaped to roam the neighborhood for quite some time, at least that I know about.  :) 

They have also started sleeping in the hall instead of our bedroom again.  I really appreciate that because no matter what I did or said, some time during the night they would wind up on our bed when they were sleeping in our room.  Our bed was not made with enough room for two adults and two large dogs.   

I am so glad that Buster is starting to adjust to our house.  I think he has finally convinced himself that it is okay to like us and that he isn't going anywhere. He actually gets excited when I call his name or when we come home from being somewhere else and he has learned a new trick.  The other day he caught a treat in his mouth for the first time.  We used to say that Buster's trick is shaking hands and Hershey's trick is catching things but now they both do it.  Hershey is very jealous of the attention Buster gets for this, so he has started to make some pretty spectacular saves to keep Buster from getting all the treats.  It is so funny to watch them. 

Now that they are sleeping in the hall, they usually take turns sleeping in front of our door.  One dog will be sprawlled out over both beds and the other will lie down on the hardwood floor with his nose pressed up against the bottom of the door.  The next night their positions will be switched.  The other night I must have caught them off guard though because I came out of our room and they were both curled up on one bed spooning with eachother.  It was really funny and I wish that I could have gotten a picture, but they woke up and both looked pretty embarrassed about the whole thing. 

Ben and Tina and kids, thanks so much for giving Buster to us.  We are so glad to have him and Hershey and Buster are pretty inseparable now. 

1 comment:

Merry said...

I really want dogs and Dave doesn't. I think he will be the one that just "tolerates" them. But I hope that we do end up getting some dogs. I think that they are so loving and so wonderful. My brother and his wife can't have kids, so they have two dogs instead, and they really are their two daughters.