Sunday, August 1, 2010

Daily Progress

Today was Sunday and Pat had the chance to walk at church.  He also got to walk again when we went back to see the Bishop that evening for an interview.  Unfortunately, we discovered that the church was locked after we walked up to the doors, so Pat had the chance to hold onto the doors while Melissa ran around the church to see if any were open.  It was a great leg strengthening exercise, even if Pat didn't enjoy it very much!

Melissa's thoughts on the day:
 Pat did a fantastic job walking today.  We started out the day a little later than we would have liked, so we needed to hurry when we got church.  When Pat was walking down the hall, his strides were straight and even and he didn't hit his ankles together like he normally does.  After discussing it, we decided that he was walking so much better because he wasn't thinking about it.  I think sometimes his brain gets in the way of his feet and he tries to think things through way too much.  When we got to the chapel, I had a heart stopping moment when Pat started to tip forward a lot and it looked as if he was going to do a face plant.  At the same time I quickly stretched my hands forward in a desparate attempt to catch him, one of our friends jumped up off the bench in an attempt to stop him also.  Thankfully Pat was unaware that we were trying to catch him so he righted himself and kept walking.  Proof that Pat doesn't need as much help as he needs to walk, he just wants it.  Kind of like Dumbo's feather.  :)  When we sat down and I asked him if he thought he was going to fall, he didn't even know what I was talking about, even though he had been at a 45 degree angle with the floor.  What an improvement from the Black Friday incident, Daniel I think it is safe to take Pat out again.  :)

His thoughts on the day:
I didn't fall or get tired, it was a good day.  I need to walk faster though, it takes a long time to get places that I need to go.  I think that my walking has improved, my wife pointed out that I was able to catch myself without even knowing that I was in danger of falling.  I feel more confident and cool when I walk.  I can't wait to show you all what I am capable of.

Pat's goals for tomorrow:
* Make no mistakes
* 10 walks
* No falls
* Work on getting a drink of water for myself without spilling any while using my walker

No comments: