Monday, August 9, 2010

Gifts from Ed and Linda

Yesterday I got the chance to learn more about Pat's parents from his grandmother and uncle.  It was a great opportunity for me and I am so glad that I had a chance to get closer to them as well as his parents.  I know that Pat has a hard time thinking about his family without wishing that he could go back.  His family always talks about how much he is like his Dad, and I think that he takes it as a negative sometimes and other times just thinks that they mean that he physically resembles his dad.  But yesterday, I found out a little more of what they mean by this. 

Two of the things that I love the very most about Pat are traits passed down from his parents.  From his mother, Pat inherited a great heart, a desire to help anyone anywhere at anytime, and a deep love for all people.  From his father, Pat inherited a desire to protect and preserve the things that are very precious to him.  Because of these unique gifts from his parents, Pat doesn't try to keep tight control on those he loves, but instead is willing to share with everyone that he meets.  I love hearing him talk about his beliefs with everyone that he knows, it often surprises me when he starts bearing his testimony in unexpected places but he almost always gets a positive reaction from it and it is great to see him getting a little stronger each time. 

I feel so blessed that his parents are willing to share him with me.  I can feel them rooting for him from the other side and I know that he is showing them his forgiveness and love as he is getting on with his life in positive ways. 

2 comments:

Alanna said...

Pat does have a great heart. I know he's always been willing to help us and others.

Alanna said...

Hullo to the both of you! The above comment psyched me out just a little. I'd like to meet this other friend of yours who shares my name. Melissa, this post is beautiful! Thank you for sharing about Pat's heritage. He is a wonderful person! I wish I could know him better, but coming to know him because of you is a great privelege. Love to both of you!