Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hump Day

Well, hump day has gone pretty well for our Superhero.  He managed to get in 9 walks, plus two bonus walks up and down the stairs going to see his therapist.  I finally convinced him that Velcro is not really a bad word when it comes to shoes so he got a new pair of walking shoes.  Believe it or not, he actually wore the sole off one of his previous walking shoes because he had done so much walking.  The new shoes fit his orthotics so much better. 

He has already landed on his bum in them though.  We were taking a test walk in the store and I was just holding his hands pretending to be his walker while he took a few steps.  He decided that he wanted to walk on my feet more than he wanted to walk on his own and when I asked him to get off, he decided to stand on one foot (the one still firmly planted on my foot) while he appologized.  I let go with one hand to try to push him off my foot (boy is he heavy, the non-slip feature of the shoe is not so appealing when it is your foot you are trying to slip it off of) and that made him laugh so much that he started to get really off balanced.  After trying to get him right side up for a few minutes, I decided it might be easier just to let him go to the floor and then pick him up so I eased him down to the ground.  I decided he might need a few moments to regain his composure anyway since he still hadn't stopped laughing from how my face looked while he was stepping on my foot.  I tried a few times to pick him back up, but since he wasn't trying to help, he just kept spinning around on his back like a turtle that has been flipped on its shell.  Needless to say, not only did we leave with the shoes, but also a healthy helping of dirt ground into Pat's clothes.  I don't think the people at Big 5 really knew what to think about us. 

So goals for tomorrow:
12 walks
try again with the water - maybe just a half a cup today
10 perfect sit to stand and then stand to sit
6 superman exercises (got to prepare to make some french fries out of Darth)

2 comments:

Alanna said...

I wish I could have been there to see the whole episode. You've got me laughing in my chair.

Angie said...

Wow, Pat! It sounds to me like you're making a lot of progress. Don't give up! I will try to check the blog and comment often. I think this is a great way to keep us all updated on what's going on with you. Keep up the good work! Love, Ang