Monday, August 16, 2010

Two altos, a tenor, and a bass

This morning I woke up to the very interesting sound of our dogs singing a song.  I don't know why, but I think SuperPat was doing something.  I can't say that I have ever woken up that way before, or that I really want to ever again.  We would not make a very good choir, because we only have two altos, a tenor, and a bass.  Guess we will have to get working on that.  :)

Pat did a great job with his walking at church today, I felt kind of bad because he had to do an extra lap around the church.  I was sustained in my new calling but I won't be set apart until next week.  I bet Pat wishes we had figured that out before he walked all the way up to the Bishop's office.  Oh well, good practice for the 2K that we hope to walk at the end of the month. 

Pat also got a chance to walk quite a bit at the family picnic this afternoon.  It was actually quite comical to watch him walking on the grass.  He would walk like normal for a few steps, then because the grass was a little lumpy, he would end up taking a few steps with the walker just hanging in the air because it was scarier to set it down on uneven ground than to walk without it.  (Mind you, I was not holding on to him, but I don't think he knows that).  I always knew that he could walk without his walker, it works kind of like Dumbo's magic feather.  Maybe I will paint it baby blue so he will have a stronger desire to get rid of it.  But that might send a different message than I intended, so maybe not. 

He did actually experience one fall on the grass.  I was (for the first time) true to my word to not catch him because I knew the ground was soft enough that he probably wouldn't be very damaged by expriencing the natural consquences of not using the proper walking form.  He was pretty disgusted about it, but most of his family didn't seem to notice, so that was alright. 

On the way back to the car, he started to fall a few times but when I reminded him that I would not be catching him, he must have believed me because he corrected the problem without any assistance.  One truly spectacular save involved him standing straight back up from a half crouch similar to what you do when you are sitting down on a chair.  My goal for this week is to take him back to the park and get some video of him walking from the side so that he can see what he truly looks like and maybe get rid of the old man slouch that is usually responsible for his falls. 

Pat's goals for tomorrow:
* 20 some walks
* walking with the cup, without the water
* walking with the cup, with some water in the bottom
* superman stretches 6 times, plus a bunch of other stretches
* working on sit to stand until he can't move his abs anymore
* Help Aunt Christie give the dogs a bath and a haircut (yep, still waiting for this one)

Oh and one more thing, SuperPat wishes to give a very special shout-out to Darth Tator.  "Darth, prepare to be hash browns".

1 comment:

Alanna said...

It all sounds very comical. Sounds like Pat got a lot of walking in today.